ISoft Runs an XMPP Chat Room to support customers and answer their questions.
Why Use Instant Message Based Support?
Instant Messaging has many of the strengths of email and phone but without their weaknesses:
- Unlike telephone, it is easy to transmit precise information such as long bits of text or internet links.
- Unlike telephone, our support staff can help multiple people simultaneously--keeping ISoft's costs and yours down.
- Unlike telephone, it is easy to have 3 or 4 or 100-way conversations.
- Unlike email, back and forth communication is instantaneous.
In order to most efficiently get help, please follow these guidelines:
- If you have a question, simply ask it. Announcing that you need help tells the support staff nothing they didn't already know.
- Be as descriptive as you can be with your problem. Helpful information may include:
- What version of the software you are using.
- What screen you are looking at.
- Information that you may have previously communicated to another support representative at ISoft.
- If there is an error message, the precise text of that error message (just the number generally doesn't help).
- If you are working on a document or a part, please provide the document number or the part number.
- If you are asked a question by an ISoft representative, please answer it as directly and concisely as possible. For example, if it is a "yes/no" question, please include "yes" or "no" in your answer.
- Refrain from using private messages when asking questions. Usually there are several ISoft representatives in the channel. The one most available and able to help will.
- Use complete sentences.
- Please try to use correct grammar, spelling, punctuation. It's amazing how much a question mark or comma can increase readability!
The chat server runs the XMPP protocol. If you don't already have an XMPP client, there are several free ones available online. ISoft suggests Pidgin. Our server is located at: im.isoftdata.com And the general support chat room is called: support And is located in the subdomain: conference.im.isoftdata.com
Users will need to contact admin ISoft Data Systems to get a login.