In ITrack some documents can be voided. When a document is voided, it is no longer considered for many purposes. For instance, a voided sales order will not affect a customer's balance. The following types of documents can be voided:
- Sales Orders
- Purchase Orders
- Transfer Orders
- Work Orders
How to void a document
Open the document on its respective screen. You can find a document via the Transaction List Screen (Enterprise), also, many relevant documents can be found on the Home Screen (Enterprise). And you can always open up a document's usual creation screen and type in its document id. Once the document is open, click the "void" check box and then save the document. You will need appropriate permissions to void a document.
What voiding does not do
While voiding a document will affect its current and future actions, voiding does not currently undo any past actions. The following is a list of things that voiding a document will not do:
- If a document has already been closed, voiding does not re-stock any used inventory on that item.
- If a document has already affected the general ledger, voiding that document will not undo any GL entries. Accountants/administrators should print a "Voided Documents Report" on a recurring basis and make appropriate changes to inventory and accounting levels on a per-document basis.
- If a work order has been closed, voiding the document does not remove any labor entries.
- Voiding a closed document will not make any changes to a parts average cost.
Alternatives to voiding
ITrack considers voiding of documents to be an extreme measure. It should not be used lightly and permissions to void should not be given out liberally. There are alternatives to voiding documents.
- Alternatives to voiding Sales Orders - Change the document type of the sales order to a type that does not affect inventory (for instance, a quote). Then close the document.
- Alternatives to voiding Work Orders - Mark the work order as an estimate. In this way it will not affect inventory levels, average cost, or customer balances.
- Alternatives to voiding Purchase Orders and Transfer Orders - Change the received quantities to the level actually received (possibly 0) and force the order closed.
It is likely that in the near future, voiding documents will have options for attempting to undo past actions (like restocking inventory). These changes probably won't come until 2009 and will be restricted by permissions.